What Can You Do
Ways to Help Prevent Flooding
Several of the City’s efforts depend on your cooperation and assistance. You can help the City by:
- Not dumping or throwing anything into ditches or streams - Dumping into our ditches and streams is a violation of our Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance (No. 2000-511). Even grass clippings and branches can accumulate and plug the storm sewers. A plugged storm sewer cannot carry water and when it rains the water begins to back up. Every piece of trash contributes to flooding.
- Doing your part to keep the banks clear of brush and debris if your property is next to a ditch or stream - The City has a maintenance program which can help remove debris and major blockages, such as downed trees.
- Reporting dumping or debris in ditches or streams - To report, please call City Hall at 281.333.4211 during regular business hours or 281.333.4200 after hours.
- Always checking with the Building Department before you alter, re-grade, place fill, or build onto your property - A permit may be required to ensure that projects do not cause problems on your property or neighboring properties.
- Contacting the Building Department at 281.333.4211 - If you see building or filling without a City permit posted at the work location.
For more information, please view: