Four Steps to Safety
Following these four steps before a disaster occurs could help you and your family make it through a disaster.
Contact your local office of emergency management or American Red Cross
chapter to find out what could happen during an emergency or disaster in your area.
Create a disaster plan by meeting with your family and discussing why you need to prepare for a disaster. Explain the dangers of fire, severe weather, and hazardous materials to children. Plan to share responsibilities and work together as a team. Visit the Texas Prepares
website for helpful materials and information.
Complete this checklist:
- Post telephone numbers (fire, police, etc.)
- Teach children how and when to use 9-1-1
- Show family members how and when to turn off utilities
- Check for adequate insurance coverage
- Teach family members the use of fire extinguishers
- Find safe spots in your home for each type of disaster
- Install smoke detectors
- Conduct a home hazard hunt
- Create a disaster supply kit
- Learn CPR and first aid
- Determine your best escape routes
Practice and maintain your plan so that each family member knows what to do.