Short-Term Rental Registration

What is a Short-Term Rental?

Short-term rentals are one- or two-family dwellings that are rented for overnight lodging for less than 30 days at a time. Hotels, bed and breakfasts, apartment unit rentals, or dwellings that are rented for a period longer than 30 days are not considered short-term rentals. Permits and annual life safety inspections are required for all short-term rental units within the city limits. Any one- or two family dwelling advertised as a short-term rental on home sharing websites such as AirBnB, VRBO, HomeAway, etc. must be permitted before the advertisement is posted.

Apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit

To apply for a short-term rental permit, you can use the link above or here. Please be sure to read the requirements for an STR permit below in the 'Register an STR' tab. You will have to submit documents with the STR application. 

  1. STR Regulations
  2. Register aN STR
  3. Current STR Permit Holders

The following requirements apply to all short-term rental units within the City Limits:

  • A permit must be obtained for all short-term rentals in the City.
  • Hotel occupancy taxes are required to be paid on a quarterly basis.
  • Annual life safety inspections are required from the Fire Marshal’s Office. 
  • Maximum occupancy of two (2) adults per sleeping area, plus an additional four (4) adults.
  • A minimum of one off-street parking space, not including the garage, must be provided per sleeping area. (*requested)
  • A decal with emergency contact information must be visible at the entry of the short-term rental.

This list is for informational purposes only and is not a comprehensive description of all short-term rental regulations. To review all regulations for short-term rentals, please view Nassau Bay Ordinance O2020-806 (PDF).

Additional Resources

If you suspect a short-term rental is unregistered, please report it using the Short-Term Rental Complaint Form. if you need to report an STR Ordinance violation that is in progress, please call the non-emergency line at 281-333-4200.