A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85% of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed the following three basic rules:
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire
- Never leave a burning candle unattended
Christmas Tree Fires
On average, one of every 18 reported fires that begins with a Christmas tree results in death. For more information, please view U.S. Fire Administration: Christmas Tree Fire Hazards.
Many kitchen fires are caused by cooking on the stove or grease fires. If a fire occurs, remember to call 9-1-1, turn off the power or flames, and cover the pan with a pad or lid to smother the fire. You can use baking soda, but never use water or flour to put the fire out. View cooking fire safety tips.