KidCourse 1800 Playground
Background - KidCourse 1800
City Council's Process
After approving budgets for four pieces of equipment for the current David Braun Park playground location, City Council approved the purchase of Game Time KidCourse 1800 to be installed at a TBD location.
At a November 8th Regular City Council meeting, Council directed the Parks & Recreation / KNBB Committees to identify a possible location for KidCourse 1800 in David Braun Park.
At a November 16th Special City Council meeting, Council directed the Parks & Recreation / KNBB Committees to identify a possible location for KidCourse 1800 in Howard Ward Park.
- A member of City Council obtained permission from Pastor Mike Stone of St. Thomas the Apostle Episcopal Church to use the parking lot for visitors to the playground.
Parks & Recreation Committee's Process
At a meeting held on November 17, 2021, the Parks & Recreation Committee, along with the Keep Nassau Bay Beautiful Committee, discussed the possible locations for the installation of the KidCourse 1800 playground equipment.
- The Committee discussed five (5) possible sites in David Braun Park and two (2) possible sites in Howard Ward Park.
- Pros and cons for each site were defined for each proposed site and the options were rank ordered.
- A report was developed – a full version of these details were available via PDF KidCourse1800 Assessment of Possible Locations (this report describes the background, process, the Committee's general findings, visual representations of each site, and a detailed overview of the site locations)
The Parks & Recreation Committee requested citizen input from Nassau Bay residents to help determine the location of this new playground equipment.
- The Citizen Survey, along with the report, was open to the public on November 20th through December 21st.
KidCourse 1800 Citizen Survey Results
City Council will utilize the results of the Citizen Survey to determine the final location of the KidCourse 1800 Playground. City Council will formally review this item at the January 10, 2022 Regular City Council meeting.
There was a total of 219 votes received.
|Survey Option||Description of Location||Number of Votes|
|David Braun Park Option #1||Next to David Braun Park Parking Lot||26|
|David Braun Park Option #2||Behind Existing Playground||25|
|David Braun Park Option #3||Green Space to West of Pavilion||21|
|David Braun Park Option #4||Behind Tennis Courts||17|
|David Braun Park Option #5||East of Park Pavilion||37|
|Howard Ward Park Option #1||Next to Current Playground & St. Thomas, Adjacent to Vinland|
|Howard Ward Park Option #2||Next to Current Playground & St. Thomas, Towards Upper Bay Road|
Unique Factors With Locating In Howard Ward Park
- Need survey to locate property line
- Need to define location of 42-inch storm drain line
General Comments / Feedback Received During Citizen Survey Voting
- Flood risks to equipment in David Braun Park can be mitigated by filling location
- Park area is in floodway with FEMA restrictions on fill
- Fill would be very expensive, if allowed
- Locating playground in Howard Ward Park has adverse impacts on residents across from park
- Absence of restrooms in Howard Ward Park creates undesirable consequences
- Installation of restrooms appears not to be popular and would be expensive
- Need for KidCourse 1800 was questioned, especially since its location is controversial
- Requested that “no purchase” should be an option in the vote
- Five voters included a “cancel KidCourse 1800 order” with their vote